10 things to know about Anne Waiguru
Devolution and Planning Cabinet Secretary Anne Waiguru has been in the news over an alleged multi-million shillings scandal at the National Youth Service (NYS).
Early this week she grabbed the headlines with a threat to sue Cord leader Raila Odinga for linking her with the NYS scandal. So who exactly is Anne Waiguru?
1. Waiguru was born in Kirinyaga County, Gichugu sub- county in the early 70s’. She attended Precious Blood Riruta High School and later sat for her A-Level exams in 1989 at the Moi Forces Academy in Nairobi where she studied Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
2. She took her undergraduate studies at University of Nairobi and later graduated with a Masters’ Degree in Economic Policy from the same University.
3. Waiguru is a mother of three teenage sons who she talks highly about. It is not clear whether is married or not.
4. She was nominated among 40 under 40 women in 2011 and was the only nominee at that time from the Public Service.
5. Her hobbies include reading, travelling and dancing.
6. Before her nomination as a Cabinet Secretary, she had previously worked as the Director, Integrated Financial Management and Information System (IFMIS), and, Head of Governance at the National Treasury.
7. She was honored with an Order Grand Warrior title by President Mwai Kibaki due her exemplary performance at the Integrated Financial Management and Information System where she led her team to win three Awards for good Performance in the Public Service.
8. She describes herself as a person who never stands mediocrity especially at place of work. For this reason, she says, people think she is tough and arrogant.
9. She has previously worked with President Uhuru Kenyatta under different Ministries.
10. Waiguru interned at Transparency International. She also worked as a research assistant.