10 Things to know about Grace Kaindi
Outgoing Deputy Inspector-General of Police Grace Kaindi was at the centre of a drama on Thursday after she refused to leave her office and vowed not to leave until she is given a dismissal letter.
Here are 10 things you should know about the police boss.
1. She is married with children – Little is known about Grace Kaindi’s private life. However, she is married and has grown up children.
2. She was recognized as the Moran of the Burning Spear – Her efforts in the Police Force were recognized in 1999 by then President Daniel arap Moi who awarded her the Head of State Commendation in 1999.
3. She studied at Kiganjo Training College – Kaindi trained at the facility in the early 70s’ and joined the police force in 1975. She has since scaled the career ladder and held high offices.
4. She has weathered many storms in her career – She was put on spot when Al-Shabaab stormed The Westgate Mall in September 2013 during which 67 people were killed and several others injured and in other subsequent attacks by the terror group.
5. She held the position of the top-most female police officer – She held the highest position by a female officer in the Police Force as the outgoing Deputy Inspector General of Police. She has since been appointed as an Ambassador to a country yet to be known.
6. A Masters degree holder – She holds an M.A degree in International Relations from University of Nairobi and MSc in Risk Crisis and Disaster Management from Leicester University in the UK.
7. She was sworn in to her former position by Chief Justice Dr Willy Mutunga in 2013.
8. She worked as a Kenya Airports Police Commandant.
9. She spearheaded the setup of Internet communications in the Police Force.
10. Her contract was supposed to end in 2017 after five year but she retired after attaining the retirement age.