10 things to know about IG designate Joseph Boinett
1. He was born 52 years ago in Keiyo district in Elgeyo Marakwet County in Rift Valley.
2. He hails from the same county (Elgeyo Marakwet) as his predecessor, David Kimaiyo.
3. If approved by Parliament, he will replace outgoing Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo who has been appointed Kenya Airports Authority chairman.
4. He will move from the National Intelligence Service (NIS) where he worked as a principal intelligence officer. He joined NIS in 1998.
5. Before heading to NIS, he served in the police service since 1984 and rose through the ranks to become a Senior Superintendent of Police.
6. Mr Boinett has just completed a course in Security Policy Analysis from Australia. He was set to be promoted to the position of assistant director.
7. He has a two Masters -one in National Security Policy from Australian National University and another in Arts Diplomatic studies – University of Westminster, United Kingdom.
8. He has two Bachelor’s degrees -one in Arts International Studies and Diplomacy from Washington International University and another in International Studies from the University of Malta.
9. He has two professional courses. One in in Senior Mission Leader’s course from the International Peace Support Centre the second in Strategic leadership Development Programme at the Kenya Institute of Administration.
10. Mr Boinett served in the Kenyan missions in Harare, Zimbabwe and Rome, Italy as a desk officer. He was later seconded to Foreign Affairs ministry as head of protocol.