5-storey building under construction sinks
Three construction workers narrowly escaped death when a five-storey building under construction in Lower Kabete, Kiambu County sunk early on Saturday morning.
Residents of Ndongoro village claim that an alert had been issued over the safety of the residential building that is almost complete but the owner proceeded with the construction.
Eye witnesses said that they heard a loud bang followed by a huge cloud of dust during the 1am incident as those living nearby screamed for help. According to the witnesses, the entire first floor of the building has sunk.
“Police from the nearby King’eero Police Post arrived and ordered those living near the building to evacuate immediately,” one area resident said.
“The three caretakers jumped out of the building and run for their dear lives,” added Mr Karanja Karira, also an area resident.
Curious area residents milling around the building said the house had developed huge cracks which were later sealed by the contractor.
They have demanded for action to be taken against the developer of the structure.