6 Types of food you need to eat when constipating
Constipation is one of the more challenging subjects to discuss, but when you are blocked, you should know that you aren’t alone.
According to Wikipedia constipation (also known as costiveness or dysphasia) refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass.
Constipation is a common cause of painful defecation. Severe constipation includes obstipation (failure to pass stools or gas) and fecal impaction, which can progress to bowel obstruction and become life-threatening.
Dr Michael Muthusi of Kenyatta National Hospital says that in most cases, there is a simple cure for constipation; all you need to do is drink a lot of water and eat healthy food.
He also gives a list which includes numerous foods that will help you poop so you don’t have to push yourself in the future.
1. Sweet Potatoes (Gwashe) – Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and contain beta carotene, a nutrient that the body converts to vitamin A, giving you enough of this vitamin without getting too much. This means that in addition to keeping your digestive system running smoothly, sweet potatoes can improve your overall health.
2. Leafy Greens (Sukuma wiki or spinach) – Sukuma wiki and spinach have a wide range of phytonutrients. That means that not only will they provide you with fiber, but they also give you magnesium and other nutrients. They also contain a great deal of water so you don’t have to worry so much about becoming dehydrated.
3. Avocados – They are easy to find when in season, and it’s one of the foods that make you pass stools fast because of their magnesium content. This nutrient helps to soothe muscles, including those responsible for keeping your digestive system running smoothly. They can also help those who have unsteady blood sugar.
4. Berries – Almost all berries are among the foods that make you pass tools fast due to their high fiber content. These include raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
Try eating a bunch of berries together within a delicious mix or you can make them into a healthy smoothie to take with you on the go.
In addition to helping you go to the bathroom, berries also contain a great deal of antioxidants, meaning that you will feel good and full of energy, helping you stay healthy now and in the future.
5. Nuts and Seeds – Nuts and seeds can help you stay regular. Options include cashews nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds. There are anecdotal theories about nuts and seeds causing constipation, but they actually prevent it provided that you drink enough water.
Any high fiber food can lead to constipation without enough hydration or cure it when you drink enough. Opting for nuts and seeds is simple as they are portable and versatile, going great on salads and many main dishes. As a bonus, they give you healthy fat to keep you full.
6. Yoghurt – While many yoghurts will help you go to the bathroom, not all will do so. Avoid any commercial yoghurts that contain a great deal of sugar as this will worsen constipation. Instead, opt for a plain organic yoghurt or make your own plain yoghurt as these will contain probiotics which improve your regularity. Flavour your plain yoghurt with cinnamon, honey, or berries.