Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Banker beaten to death for urinating in parking lot laid to rest

By MOHAMED AHMED January 22nd, 2018 2 min read

A sombre mood engulfed a village in Mwea, Embu county, during the burial of a banker who died after being assaulted by Solvit Security guards at Nyali Centre in Mombasa.

David Wokabi was on Monday laid to rest in an emotional ceremony.

Mr Wokabi, who has left a widow and two children, was buried as police continue with investigations into the incident that led to his death.

The Stanbic Bank employee, Nyali branch, was beaten by the guards and later succumbed to his injuries after spending seven days in the Intensive Care Unit at Aga Khan Hospital, Mombasa.


CCTV footage seen by the Nation captured how Mr Wokabi, 35, was severely beaten by five guards on January 7 for allegedly urinating at the parking lot.

The incident happened at around 3am.

He was leaving one of the establishment at Nyali Centre, which houses a number of entertainment joints, banks, health centres and supermarkets.

Mr Wokabi’s family said it does not believe he was attacked for urinating in the parking lot.

And on Monday, in an advertisement on a local newspaper, Solvit Company claimed Mr Wokabi was attacked by the guards after injuring one of them using a sword.

“One of our security guard spotted a man (Mr Wokabi) who was urinating in the compound at the mall. The guard inquired from him about his actions but he turned abusive and violent,” read the ad.

It claimed that Mr Wokabi rushed to his car and came back wielding a sword which the company alleges he used to cut the said guard.

In their ad, the company based their explanation on the CCTV footage, which they said captured other guards “calming down” Mr Wokabi after he injured their colleague.


The advert also states that Mr Wokabi was with an unidentified woman, who the Nation revealed was the one who rushed him to hospital after he was attacked by the guards.

“We have learnt that David (Mr Wokabi) worked at Stanbic Bank at the mall but he was not known to our night security guards as earlier alleged,” reads ad.

However, according to sources, Mr Wokabi who has worked at the bank for five years, was known to the guards.

Two guards have been arrested in connection to his death and are set to appear in court on Thursday as police hunt for three other suspects among them the guards’ supervisor.

County police commander Johnston Ipara said experts will examine the CCTV footage as part of investigations.