Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Brain cancer warrior’s miracle story

University of Nairobi student and brain cancer warrior Emmanuel Otieno popularly known as Jadudi arrived back in the country on Thursday evening after his fourth brain surgery.

Jadudi, who is a beneficiary of Kenyans’ generosity, was on Friday all smiles as he addressed the media on his recovery process.

His story attracted other cancer patients to an emotional event at the Villa Rosa Kempinski Hotel where he conveyed his gratitude.

“I thank all Kenyans for the support they offered me,” he said amid pauses as he still has a slow speech due to the cancer treatment procedures.

During his aided address, that often saw Africa Cancer Foundation CEO Zawadi Nyong’o help him finish sentences, Jadudi amused the audience by saying his was the best medical trip to India.

“It was more of a holiday because I was not feeling the pressure. I have even added weight as I was just eating and sleeping,” he said amid cheers.

Jadudi’s struggle with brain cancer started in 2012 and after three surgeries he sought help from the cancer foundation and writer Jackson Biko who blogged about his journey consequently launching an online funds drive.

During the press conference Ms Nyong’o said the final amount raised during the funds drive now stands at Sh7.4 million.


Jadudi’s mother, Leonora Otiende, who accompanied him to India moved those in attendance to tears when she broke down while thanking Kenyans for their support.

She later narrated to Nairobi News how her son had showed better recovery compared to his three previous surgeries.

“He is better now compared to the last three surgeries he has undergone in the past. This time he has shown much improvement in the recovery process and we are optimistic that it will be his last surgery ever,” said Mrs Otiende.

Jadudi underwent a successful four hours brain surgery on August 29 after which he was put in the Intensive Care Unit for days before starting cyberknife sessions that involve radiosurgery treatment using a soft mesh mask.

The 22-year-old then went for ten cyberknife sessions with the last one being on Tuesday this week before flying back home on Thursday evening.

Jadudi’s impressive recovery motivated other cancer patients who attended the Friday event.

After the press conference he shared the therapy skills he learnt while in India with a young woman battling cancer enabling her to move her right hand.

Within five minutes the woman was able to move her hand up and down, leaving her caregiver and mother awed at how she quickly learnt from Jadudi.

Jadudi is expected to travel to his home in Dudi Village, Oyugis, Homa Bay County on Saturday where he will stay until he fully recovers.