Captivating details of Citizen TV’s Sam Gituku after Moses Kuria TV showdown
Yesterday night, Citizen TV’s prime-time news anchor Sam Gituku all but took down Trade Cabinet Secretary Moses Kuria in a fiery interview in relation to the Kenya Kwanza’s scorecard since forming government one year ago.
Sam and CS Kuria faced off over the price of a liter of edible cooking oil as Moses Kuria claimed the government had lowered the prices. Still, Sam and Citizen TV proved him wrong when they went live in a supermarket from the President’s home county and gave the true price, which was costlier than Moses Kuria’s price.
This moment became TV gold, and Sam Gituku went viral online for managing to provide proof that the government allegedly lies about their achievements to give themselves a good reputation.
And so, Nairobi News delves into Sam Gituku, the man who singlehandedly put the controversial and bullish CS Moses Kuria on the chopping block; and made a section of Kenyans’ day.
- He attended Moi University, where he obtained a BSc in Information Sciences, Publishing, and Media Studies. He studied video editing at Moi University and directed the first MUSCA documentary. He also served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Horizon Magazine. He was also a programme host and news presenter at MU FM, Moi University, from August 2010 to April 2011.
- He is currently pursuing his master’s at Aga Khan University.
- He was also the chairperson of the Moi University Catholic Students Association.
- He joined Royal Media Services in May 2011, where he was a radio reporter trainee before fully being absorbed by RMS in January 2012, where he did feature writing, events coverage, and court reporting.
- He is skilled in video editing, sound editing, and desktop publishing.
- He advocates for education, human rights, and disaster and humanitarian relief.
- In 2014 the Media Council of Kenya awarded him Young Journalist of the Year.
- In 2019, he married his colleague, news director Ivy Waitherero at the Deliverance Church while the reception was held at the Nairobi Academy grounds, both located in Langata, Nairobi. The nuptials came as a surprise as Sam rarely shared his personal life with the public.
- Aside from the showdown with CS Moses Kuria, he’s also faced off with Senator Gloria Orwoba during a live panel discussion when she claimed- without evidence- that former president Uhuru Kenyatta was financing opposition demonstrations in Kenya.