Chaos as recruitment of 600 city askaris postponed – PHOTOS
Thousands of youths who turned up for recruitment as City askaris at the Dagoreti Training Centre turned rowdy Monday morning after the exercise was cancelled without notice.
The youths blocked traffic on Ngong road, lit bonfires and pelted motorists with stones.
They claimed this is the third time the recruitment has been postponed, amid suspicions that calling letters had already been dispatched to the kin of senior City Hall officials.
The group were dispersed by anti-riot police.
Alex Amiso, who said he had travelled from Turkana, decried the last minute cancellation after he had incurred heavy expenses to travel to Nairobi.
Mr Amiso said he had last year applied to join the City Traffic Marshal brigade and was part of shortlisted applicants who were subjected to a 10km run, but they were never employed.
Others who showed up for recruitment on Monday are National Youth Service (NYS) graduates who were promised permanent jobs after beautifying the city ahead of President Barack Obama’s visit in 2015.