City man challenging Sonko’s election win claims threats to life
A judge has refused to adjourn the hearing of a petition challenging the election of Nairobi governor Mike Sonko after one of the petitioners complained that he had been threatened.
Mr Japheth Muroko, through his lawyer Anthony Oluoch, claimed he and his family received the threats on Saturday.
He said he had gone to the police Monday morning to record a statement and would provide an OB number if required.
The lawyer pleaded with Justice Msagha Mbogholi to adjourn the case for one day.
Mr Sonko, through his lawyer Harrison Kinyanjui, said although the allegations were serious, there was no evidence to back the claims.
Justice Mbogholi said he was only adjourning the case to Monday noon to enable Mr Muroko complete recording the statement with the police.
He said both Muroko and his co-petitioner Zacheus Okoth should be in court.
The Judge said the dates for the hearing were set early in December and the timelines were strict.
Mr Muroko and Mr Okoth want Governor Sonko’s win nullified over irregularities and bribery among other allegations.