Nairobi News

LifeWhat's Hot

City woman murdered on first date by a man she met on Facebook – PHOTOS

Police are holding a suspect for the murder of a 26 year-old woman he met on Facebook.

The suspect, Richard Nyakina, was arrested in Kisii by police officers from the Special Crime Prevention Unit before he revealed the scene where he murdered Lydia Nyaboke in Mutuini, Dagoretti.

The two, according to Lydia’s brother Japhet Mogeni, met on Facebook some time back and decided to have a date on July 23 in Nairobi.

Richard had contacted Lydia on her mobile phone number believed to have been extracted from her Facebook profile, and told her that he knew her well and that they both came from the same rural area.


“They kept communicating for some time before they decided to meet,” he said, adding that after their date, Lydia’s phone went off.

Her family searched for Lydia in vain, and so they decided to report at the Pangani and later Ngong Police Stations that she was missing.

She had been working as an M-Pesa shop attendant after completing her studies.

Detectives traced her phone to Kisii town.


The man who had the phone said he had bought it from Richard and luckily enough, he still had his number and knew someone who knew him.

“We arrested him in Gucha, Kisii and he confessed to have killed the lady. He took the police officers to a thicket in Dagoretti near Mutuini Secondary School,” head of Special Crimes Prevention Unit Noah Katumo said.


Richard told police said he hit Lydia on the head, suffocated her and used her clothes to strangle her.

When the suspect showed the detectives where he had killed Lydia and left her body in Dagoretti, the local police station was contacted and they confirmed to have collected her body on July 27 and took it to the City Mortuary.

On Friday last week, the family of the deceased identified her body. A postmortem done on Monday showed that she had been strangled.

Her parents, Zachary and Irene Mogeni, travelled from Kisii to oversee the postmortem and burial preparations. They intend to bury her on Friday this week.

Meanwhile, the suspect was taken to the Milimani Law Courts but he did not plead as the police requested the courts to allow them to hold him for seven more days in order to complete the investigations into the murder.

The suspect also has a pending rape case.