Contractors demanding Sh58b from City Hall given deadline for claims
Contractors and suppliers demanding Sh58 billion from Nairobi County Government have until Monday evening to lodge documentary proof supporting their payment claims.
The Committee on Pending Bills chairman PLO Lumumba said claims not registered by then will be treated as non-existent.
“This is the final notice and subject to accounts and audit, the committee shall advise the county to treat any claim that is not forwarded by close of business on April 30, as not forming part of the debt owed to it,” the team said.
The notice published in the dailies last Friday, says documentary proof must be lodged with the committee’s office at City Hall’s 4th floor office with any inquiry or clarification sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The former anti-corruption chief further warned that any falsified claim detected will be forwarded to criminal investigations for action.
The Committee of Pending Bills launched its operations last month with a call to contractors and suppliers to lodge claims so as to facilitate perusal and verification.
Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko asked the team to recommend payment as well as formulate a foolproof procurement process that will ring fence future contracts with independent suppliers for goods and services to avoid delays going forward.
The huge contractors’ unpaid bill arises from commercial engagements between contractors and the Nairobi City Council as well as its successor Nairobi City County Government for nearly three decades.
Most of those making claims had initially lodged court cases seeking payments for work done but all suits were stopped to pave way for the Lumumba committee to peruse the demands and advise the county government on the way forward.