Nairobi News

GeneralHustleLifeMust ReadNewsWhat's Hot

Death at Daystar University hostels: Police launch investigations

By Hilary Kimuyu September 12th, 2023 2 min read

Police in Athi River, Machakos County, have launched investigations into the death of a first-year Daystar University student who died in a hostel.

Mercy Jerono Kwambai, 18, allegedly died by suicide at a hostel in the Daystar area of Athi River South on Friday, 8 September and the matter was reported to police the following day.

According to the police, the body of the deceased was discovered by her fellow students, who gained access by jumping over the walls of the toilets and opening the door.

University security coordinator Patrick Darizu then proceeded to report the incident to the police.

“He reported that there was a body of a female first-year student lying in a pool of blood at the Patience West hostel washroom at Daystar University,” a police report reads in part.

“Police officers and DCI personnel visited the scene and it was established that the deceased Mercy Jerono Kwambai had locked herself inside the toilet and committed suicide.”

The scene was processed and documented by the officers. Her body was then taken to the mortuary at Shalom Community Hospital for post-mortem examination.

Also read: Unmasking the dark world of Campus Gang with obsession with masks and fake guns

In July, Biem Mabek Lang, 29, a first-year Computer Science student at Daystar University, Athi River campus, succumbed to a single bullet after unknown assailants shot him.

The Southern Sudanese national, according to a senior DCI sleuth, was killed at their business premises named ‘Billionaire Liquor Store’ in the Inter-County area within the Athi River sub-county at around 10.30 pm. The incident was reported at Athi River police station as a robbery with violence incident.

“Officers who were on patrol responded to the incident and found the deceased’s body lying behind the said bar’s counter in a pool of blood,” police said then.

He said the body had a single bullet entry wound on the front part of the neck with an exit on the back of the neck.

“It was established that on July 7 at 10.30 pm, two men, one armed with a gun, walked into the said bar using a motorcycle and ordered three men, including the deceased who was behind the counter, to lie down. The deceased did not comply. The armed man shot him, and they left with the said motorcycle registration number not captured without stealing anything,” they added.

Also read: Widow of murdered gangster deletes her condolence message on Facebook