Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

‘Drunk’ KDF soldiers arrested after storming Lang’ata school during fire incident

Two soldiers were arrested at Lang’ata Boys High School during a fire incident that gutted down a dormitory over the weekend.

The soldiers, Sammy Mugambi Munya and Rose Karambu Munya, were arrested and detained at Lang’ata police station after defying pleas by the school principal Ms Teresa Mutegi to vacate the school compound.

Ms Mutegi said the two had insisted on staying in the school despite an order barring members of the public from the school compound to allow investigators collect evidence.

“I went to talk to the two as I thought they were among the plain clothes police in the school. I became suspicious when the other investigators denied knowing them,” she said.

A fierce confrontation ensued after the two tried resisting arrest. In the melee, Sammy Mugambi is alleged to have assaulted a police corporal, Peter Legeto, and also kicked the door of police vehicle registration GKB 310C.


At the time of the incident, all students were locked up in the dining hall for a roll call to determine the number of students who were absent.

Lang’ata OCPD, Elijah Maina said the two soldiers are siblings.

“One of them was a parent who had come to visit the son after hearing about the fire incident. She however failed to comply with the directive of the school administration prompting the arrest,” he said.

The two soldiers have since been charged with creating disturbance and being drunk and disorderly.

Sammy Mugambi faces additional charges of assaulting a police officer and malicious damage to police property.

Elsewhere in Kaimosi, traffic officers manning a road block at Chepsonoi centre arrested a police officer from Kisumu for flouting traffic rules.

The officer, CI Salim Abdalla, was driving to his Kapsabet home with the car boot open. When the police officers at a road block stopped him for questioning, he reportedly became arrogant .

Mr Abdalla is reported to have attempted to drive past the road block, but officers used spikes to stop him. He was swiftly disarmed as he attempted to draw his pistol that was  loaded with 12 rounds of ammunition after being ordered to get out of the car.

After arrest,  he was confirmed to be an an officer attached to the Driving Test Unit in Kisumu.