Nairobi News

GeneralHustleLifeMust ReadNewsWhat's Hot

Family of Kenyan who died at New York airport appeals for financial support

The heartbroken family of a Kenyan man who tragically passed away upon arrival at John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport in New York is seeking financial assistance to repatriate his body back to Kenya.

Mr Stafford Osore, 36, had embarked on a journey from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Thursday, August 24, 2023, but did not leave JFK Airport alive due to unexpected health complications.

Tragedy struck when Stafford collapsed at JFK Airport on arrival, where he had been visiting his family.

Also read: What killed Kenyan who died at New York airport? Family speaks

Despite swift efforts to provide medical attention, Stafford’s health deteriorated rapidly, and he was pronounced dead upon arrival at a New York hospital.

Stafford’s untimely demise has sent shockwaves through his family, friends, and relatives on both sides of the globe.

The circumstances of his passing have prompted his loved ones to initiate a fundraising effort to bring his remains back to his hometown in Homa Bay County, Kenya.

In a heartfelt GoFundMe campaign established by Stafford’s sister, Vera Osore, the family shared the heart-wrenching details of his passing and their urgent need for assistance.

The GoFundMe page reads, “Stafford collapsed and died on August 24th, 2023, at JFK Airport while returning from Kenya, where he had gone to visit his family. Stafford fainted and was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival.”

In their plea for financial aid, the family conveyed the profound impact of Stafford’s passing. “This is a huge shock and blow to Stafford’s family, friends, and relatives,” the statement continued.

The Osore family seeks to raise USD 20,000 (Ksh 2.9m) to provide Stafford with a proper burial. The funds collected will not only facilitate the repatriation of his body but also assist in covering the expenses associated with the funeral arrangements.

Also read: EXCLUSIVE: Details of Kenyan who died at New York airport after arriving from Nairobi

For those interested in contributing to the fundraising campaign, the GoFundMe page can be accessed via the link provided by the family.

In an exclusive interview with Nairobi News, the family told this reporter that preliminary findings show that Mr Osore had blood clots on both legs as they were all swollen.

“The doctors told us that the right leg was more swollen than the left one. The clot from the right leg went up to his lungs, and that is how he died,” Mr Felix Osore, his elder brother, said.

However, the medical team, including pathologists who conducted various tests on his body, said the final cause of death would be made public in the next three months.

Mr Felix said the medical team had to conduct more tests, including genetics, toxicology, and virology.

Genetics is the study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics, while toxicology is the branch of science concerned with the nature, effects, and detection of poisons.

Virology is the branch of science that deals with the study of viruses.

“So the final results on his death certificate will be handed to the family in the next three months,” Mr Felix said.

Also read: Gloria Muliro and new-husband announce plans to open a church in New York