Fire brigade yet to be paid for billboard work
The county fire brigade has not been paid for removing a billboard which had allegedly been demolished on Waiyaki Way, a court heard.Assistant divisional fire officer Amos Otwal told a Milimani court that they had not demanded payment but were in the process of doing so.
Mr Otwal who was being cross examined by lawyer Patrick Lutta for Ikon Prints Media Company, owners of the billboard; said nobody okayed him to cut it in order to remove it.
“We neither sought authority of the owner of the gantry to cut it nor received any indemnity,” said Mr Otwal.
He told Justice David Majanja that the department is not paid when doing work on behalf of the county government, and that there has never been a request for a report concerning last year’s October 29 event.
The fire officer said he was on duty when he received a radio call from the police requesting a special service on Waiyaki Way.
“We arrived at the scene where we found the billboard which was about 30 metres long lying on the ground,” said Mr Otwal.
Through its regional general manager, Mr Chukwuma Nduche, the firm wants the gantry reinstated so as “to go on with our normal business” saying they are in the country to do legitimate business.
The firm is seeking Sh42.7 million restitution and replacement value of its Waiyaki Way billboard.
“The demolition cost us a lot of financial loss and psychological damage, we have a contract which is almost slipping out of our hands, we pray that the court to look at our claims,” he said.