Five unique things Bob Collymore’s one month salary can do
By EVELYNE MUSAMBI
1. Can pay President Uhuru Kenyatta for eight months
Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore takes home Sh10million a month while President Uhuru Kenyatta takes home Sh1.2million a month as net income. Assuming that Mr Collymore’s declaration is of his net income, then he is able to pay the President’s net salary for eight months.
2. Can pay 4,000 kidney dialysis sessions at a government hospital
One kidney dialysis session at a government hospital like Kenyatta National Hospital costs Sh2, 500. Since different patients require different number of sessions, we opted to calculate the sessions as opposed to the number of patients giving a total of 4,000 sessions that Mr Collymore’s salary can pay.
3. Can pay for football fans to watch matches in Kasarani and Nyayo stadiums at full capacity
The Kasarani stadium has a capacity of 60,000 while Nyayo Stadium can fit 30,000 fans. Assuming that fans are expected to pay Sh100 to watch a football match, Mr Collymore’s salary can pay for fans in both stadiums and he will still have a Sh1million balance.
4. Can feed about 3,000 Kenyans who live below the poverty line
For Kenyans who live on less than a dollar a day, Mr Collymore’s perks for one month would sustain about 3,000 of them for a whole month.
5. Can be distributed to his Twitter followers to give each airtime worth Sh20
Mr Collymore has slightly over half a million followers on Twitter; assuming that his one month salary was to be distributed among 500k of his followers, they would each get airtime worth Sh20 which can give them 35MBs of data and 35 SMS or 5 minutes on talk time during peak hours.