Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Gikomba terror blast suspect denies killing 10 people

November 17th, 2014 2 min read

A man police link to the terrorist attack at the Gikomba market in Nairobi on Monday denied killing 10 people.

Mr Abdirahman Jamal Mohammed, a Somali citizen, was arrested in Eastleigh estate about a month ago and has been in the police custody since October 25, the prosecution said.

He was charged Monday alongside two Somali women, Ms Mariam Mohammed Abdi and Joweriyo Mohammed Hassan, who are said to be planning of a fresh terrorist attack in the city.

Mr Jamal denied that he carried out the terrorist attack at Gikomba market which caused the deaths of 10.

Those killed in the May 16 attack include Eunice Nditi Irungu, Mary Wachera Gachuhi, Magdaline Aman Tarimo, Cecily Muthoni Mugo, Merciline Adhiambo Otieno, Mark Munyao Mwangangi, Waichuri Maina, Hellen Ongaga, Amwel Musili Nguli and Paul Kioko Mbila.


The prosecution said the three suspects conspired with others not before court to “commit a terrorist act by prejudicing national security and public safety with the aim of intimidating and causing fear amongst members of the public by destabilising the religious, political and social fabric of the country.”

“Investigations revealed that the two were in communication with the first accused…they have been brought to court with enough evidence against the charges that they face,” prosecutor Susan Kuruga said.

The prosecutor asked the court not to grant the suspects bond fearing that they may team up with their alleged “accomplices who are still at large and continue with carrying out the attacks that they were planning.”

She said the suspects are not Kenyans and may flee if released on bail.

“They were in the country illegally and the prosecution believes they may escape as they have no fixed residences,” Ms Kuruga said.


The prosecutor added that Mr Abdirahman Jamal Mohammed may know the identities of witnesses and could interfere with the case.

On the day of the attack at Gikomba market, two home-made bombs were detonated simultaneously killing 10 and injuring at least 70.

The first explosion went off in a parked minibus, while the second one was detonated within the open air market.

Two suspects were reportedly arrested at the scene moments after the attacks.

President Uhuru Kenyatta reacted to the attacks with a rallying call for unity “to ensure that we are able to fight this particular terror.”