Nairobi News


Glowing tribute: Ivy Wangechi aced her KCSE to study Medicine at Moi University

Ivy Wangechi was a bright student who passed well in her Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education and got admitted to study Medicine and Surgery in Moi University.

She was an A student who was among the top students at Alliance Girls, the top-performing national school in Kiambu County prior to joining Moi University in 2012 and was set to graduate this year.

Her life was, however, cut short on Tuesday by a man identified by police as Naftali Kinuthia who killed her in the most macabre manner in broad daylight near Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital.

Having passed well she was admitted to the School of Medicine as a government-sponsored student and was set to clear studies before end of this year.


The School’s Dean Lukoye Atwoli on Wednesday said Ms Wangechi was a good, hardworking student.

“All the students’ academic results are confidential. We normally rate our students as either pass or fail and Wangechi was doing well,” said Prof Atwoli.

He also urged people to stop spreading lies about her beseeching them to be considerate to the family and her friends.

“I will like to tell people who are writing and sharing these lies about her to stop. We are urging people to be sensitive to her family, her friends and those close to her,” Prof Atwoli told the Nation.

Two of her friends said the man had become so obsessed with her and would travel to Eldoret on a number of occasions to meet her.

From what they could recall, Wangechi told them she had refused to see her on those occasions and he would wait at the gate but leave without seeing her.


The students said since she had become reclusive and started avoiding them the last two weeks and were wondering what had happened to the once lively person they had known her for long.

“We always chatted freely and she was so lively but the last two weeks she had changed. I would text her and she would only reply hours later unlike before,” he said.

The man was also said to have been sending her money and other gifts on several occasions even after she warned him not to do so.

Kinuthia is still receiving treatment at the hospital after members of the public attempted to lynch him but was rescued by police.

Ainabkoi police boss Lucy Kananu on Wednesday said the car, a Honda model with the registration number KCB 836P which he is suspected to have driven is being held at Naiberi Police Station as investigations into the killing progresses.


Ms Kananu who visited MTRH where the suspect is recuperating under tight police security said that the suspect is not in a position to talk due to injuries he sustained after he was beaten up by irate members of the public after committing the heinous act.

“We will interrogate him when he recovers and thereafter arraign him in court to answer murder charges. We are yet to establish the motive of the attack but we will get to the bottom of the matter. We are also interrogating colleagues of the deceased,” Ms Kananu told the Nation.