Nairobi News

SportsWhat's Hot

Gor’s troubled run continues as Stima dent their titles hope

By ISAAC SWILA October 19th, 2016 2 min read

Gor Mahia’s faint hopes for the league title took a further blow after they settled for a 2-2 draw with a stubborn Western Stima at the Nyayo National Stadium on Wednesday.

Auxiliary attacker Godfrey Walusimbi appeared to have handed K’Ogalo a savoured win with a free header in the 78th minute capitalising on a goalkeeping error by Stima goalie Gabriel Andika to spark wild cheers from the Green Army but substitute Daniel Makachi headed home at the death to ensure shared spoils.

Early on Kennedy ‘Agogo’ Otieno set the tone for the thrilling duel with a sucker punch at the stroke of half time completing a sweeping counter attack that materialised after Jacques Tuyisenge had been denied in the opposite goal mouth by the leg of  Andika.

The game however turned on its head when Enock Agwanda converted a controversial penalty in the 53rd minute after Tuyisenge was adjudged to have been brought down in the box as he navigated his way past the legs of several Stima defenders.


“We did our best but it was not our day but we have to fight upto the last match. We still have to fight for three points in our next match,” Gor Mahia coach Ze Maria said after the match.

The draw left Gor Mahia on 45 points from 26 games six shy of leaders Tusker on 51points.

And with four matches to go and the two sides set to face off on the final day of season, the title is far from won.

But like Sunday when they spurned numerous chances, Gor were at their erratic best in the first half missing several scoring opportunities before conceding.

Playmaker Francis Kahata failed to fire home after Walusimbi had swept the ball to his path in the 20th minute.

Stima, who played with determination, then came close five minutes later when Brian Marita fluffed an opportunity after his decision to dribble past Gor goalie Boniface Oluoch in the box was thwarted.

His miss came just two minutes after Kenneth Muguna’s rocket shot was blocked as Stima launched a two minute blitz of ferocious attack.