Here are the top six flood prone areas in Nairobi
This year’s long rains have washed away the glory of Nairobi city as the flood waters embarrassingly exposed the derelict state of the capital’s drainage system.
The heavy rains have seen Nairobians get stuck in traffic for hours, their house flooded by raw sewage and deaths occasioned by drowning.
The weatherman has predicted that the rains would continue this month and here are the five areas that will be most prone to floods.
1. NHC Nairobi West Estate: The National Housing Corporation (NHC) area is affected whenever the Mutui-ini-Ngong River bursts its banks. Last month the river burst its banks causing massive flooding in downstream areas including Nairobi West.
Residents were unable to access the ground floor houses due to flooding.
2. Imara Daima: The area witnessed raw sewage flow into residential houses at the height of the heavy rains last month. In one particular court, Zanzibar, residents used buckets to drain away sewage from their houses.
3. South C: The areas has been renamed as ‘South Sea’ after floods submerged cars and houses. A school bus with children on board was almost swept away by flood waters in the area last month.
The area’s proneness to floods is worsened by its proximity to the Mutui-ini-Ngong River.
4. Near Clay Works along Thika Road: A river that flows below the super highway recently swelled and flooded a section of the road.
Motorists had to wait for hours for the water to subside under the bridge.
5. Nyayo High Rise Estate in Mbagathi: The area is flood prone due to a river whose course is near the estate. In May, several houses were submerged after heavy rains swa the river break its banks.
6. Kileleshwa: Residents in this upmarket suburb have frequently woken up to find their house and cars submerged in flood water. In one case, The headteacher of Braeside School had to row a boat from his house which was flooded.