Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

How six officers helped Pastor Ng’ang’a cover-up accident

Six police officers will be disciplined for helping controversial Neno Evangelism pastor James Ng’ang’a in a cover-up bid after an accident on Naivasha road.

Inspector Christopher Nzuli Nzioka, who acted as the pastor’s bodyguard, will face a criminal charge, while the other five will be disciplined, an independent investigation report has recommended.

The report states that Inspector Nzioka presented a Mr Simon Kuria to the police as the driver. He is also accused of organising the collection of new number plates and an insurance sticker from Nairobi together with another officer.

The insurance cover the vehicle had at the time of the accident was issued by the Monarch Insurance Company Ltd, on June 20, and had expired on July 19.


They then went to Valley Road Motors where they took another insurance sticker issued by CIC General Insurance Ltd, on May 24, for a vehicle registered as KG 5981, which was set to expire on April 23, next year.

In the initial reports, there is no mention of the number plates. According to the Occurrence Book (OB) number 6/26/7/2015, the officers wrote that the other vehicle was hit “by an oncoming car, registration number KCD 060Q, which was overtaking while heading towards Nairobi.”

Investigators concluded that the inspector should face charges of conspiracy to defeat justice and giving false information.

If found to have deliberately lied to his colleagues, he will be liable to three years’ imprisonment.

Investigations also identify Constable Wesley Kipkoech as the one who negotiated with his colleagues on behalf of Pastor Ng’ang’a.

Another officer, Constable Alexander Kitonga, was assigned the case. Constable Kipkoech took over the investigations without the knowledge of his boss.


There was no report indicating that the vehicle was towed to Tigoni Police Station.

Constable Kipkoech later booked in the OB that he was escorting a vehicle, whose registration number is KCD 060Q/KG5981, for inspection in Nairobi.

When he returned, he recorded that the vehicle had been inspected (Certificate VT 789526) and it had no pre-accident defects.

Constable Kipkoech will face another disciplinary offence of knowingly making and signing a false statement.

He escorted the suspect to court but only booked this in the OB around 5pm. The same evening, he made another booking, indicating he had gone to the Kenya Revenue Authority in Nairobi to establish the ownership of the Range Rover.

He later indicated that the vehicle chasis number was SALLSA A336A96268 and engine number 020506B 15353428P. The year of manufacture was stated as 2006 and the owner as Mr Alexander Njunge.


At the time of the accident, the traffic boss, Inspector Patrick Baya, was at Kikuyu Police Station where he was in charge in an acting capacity. Inspector Baya did not visit the scene immediately.

He faces disciplinary action for being allegedly negligent. Also to be charged with the same offence are his juniors, who include Corporal Eunice Sila, and Constables Alexander Gitonga and Tabitha Anayo.

Twenty-one people were questioned by the detectives, including eight officers, government pathologist Peter Ndegwa, a motor vehicle inspector, Mr B.K Cheruiyot, Mr Edwin Gachura Wagacha of Edwag Auto Mobile, and Mr Francis Ng’ang’a Mundia of Valley Road Motors.

Further investigations have been launched after some witnesses said Ms Mercy Njeri, who died after the accident, was removed from the driver’s seat.

SOURCE: Daily Nation