Nairobi News

GeneralHustleLifeMust ReadNewsWhat's Hot

What killed Kenyan who died at New York airport? Family speaks

A journey that spanned continents ended in an airport tragedy for Mr Stafford Osore, 36, who collapsed upon arriving at a New York airport from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi, Kenya.

A veil of uncertainty shrouds Mr Odore’s tragic demise as the intricacies surrounding his untimely passing have captured the attention of his grieving family and an intrigued public.

The question on everyone’s mind is, what caused his death?

Stafford Osore, the Kenyan who collapsed at New York airport. PHOTO| COURTESY

Also read: EXCLUSIVE: Details of Kenyan who died at New York airport after arriving from Nairobi

In an exclusive interview with Nairobi News, the family told this reporter that preliminary findings show that Mr Osore had blood clots on both legs as they were all swollen.

“The doctors told us that the right leg was more swollen than the left one. The clot from the right leg went up to his lungs, and that is how he died,” Mr Felix Osore, his elder brother, said.

However, the medical team, including pathologists who conducted various tests on his body, said the final cause of death would be made public in the next three months.


Mr Felix said the medical team had to conduct more tests, including genetics, toxicology, and virology.

Genetics is the study of heredity and the variation of inherited characteristics, while toxicology is the branch of science concerned with the nature, effects, and detection of poisons.

Virology is the branch of science that deals with the study of viruses.

“So the final results on his death certificate will be handed to the family in the next three months,” Mr Felix said.

Mr Felix had driven to the John F. Kennedy airport alongside his two children to receive Mr Osore, but this anticipated gathering remained unrealised.

Also read: Gloria Muliro and new-husband announce plans to open a church in New York

“Once the plane landed, he notified us through our WhatsApp family group he had landed safely,” Mr Felix said.

This was his last message to them before his passing. Mr Osore’s message now holds a haunting significance.

He said that all that time, he was waiting for him at the airport, hoping to see his younger brother, but this never happened, and little did he know that his brother had already collapsed and was being given medical attention.

BROTHERS: Felix and Stafford Osore during happier times. PHOTO| COURTESY

He then decided to drive back to New Jersey, where he lives and dropped his children off before driving back to the airport.

On his way back to the airport, he got a call from the New York Port Authority, inquiring about his connection with Mr. Osore.

He explained that they were family and he was on his way to the airport as planned to pick him up.

At that moment, he learned that his brother had collapsed upon arrival at the airport, and was rushed to the hospital.

With a heavy heart, Mr Felix shared, “I just asked them which hospital he was in, and I drove there only to find the body of my late brother.”

According to the hospital, Mr Osore was pronounced dead upon arrival.

Nairobi News extends its heartfelt condolences to the family, and may he rest in peace.

Also read: Silenced dreams: Edwin Chiloba hoped to showcase fashion line in New York before gruesome murder