Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Janet Kanini: I’m healed of lung cancer

January 14th, 2016 2 min read


NTV’s Janet Kanini has broken her long silence and given an update on her recovery stating that she just completed her last chemotherapy session and will be heading to India for a “confirmation of what she already knows, that she is healed.”

Ms Kanini, who turns 38 years old on Thursday, wrote a long post on her Facebook page explaining how she had to cut short her falling hair and found a way to connect with her younger self by going out and dancing.

“On Friday December 18th I purposefully put on dancing shoes and party clothes to look like a manyanga for hubby, popped a few painkillers and went to Carnivore for the annual pre-Christmas New Jack Swing. Some friends joined us and it was great laughing at how unfit we’ve become, we couldn’t dance for long,” wrote Ms Kanini.

The TV show host has also highlighted one of her low moments on Boxing Day when she fell sick and had to call a Reverend to her home as she needed encouragement.

“I wondered why other people were telling me ‘Janet I’m healed!’ and yet I’m still on this journey. Reverend helped me realize that God’s timing is not ours. God’s plan for someone else isn’t necessarily the same for me. And their news does not mean that my faith isn’t adequate,” she wrote.


The N-soko Property show host received overwhelming financial and emotional support from Kenyans when she announced her lung cancer diagnosis in October last year.

Ms Kanini has so far undergone six chemotherapy sessions at a Nairobi facility, the last one being on Tuesday.

“Yesterday was my sixth and last chemotherapy session at Faraja Cancer Centre next to MP Shah Hospital. I danced at the reception after they took out the needle from my chemo port because I was so happy! Next week I return to India for review where I look forward to the doctors confirming what I already know – that I am healed!”

Ms Kanini was diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) early last year and in June she was admitted at the High Dependency Unit after a blood clot was discovered near her heart.

In September she left the country for treatment in India where the diagnosis for lung cancer was later made.

After she announced the diagnosis, Kenyans overwhelmingly supported her financially with local musicians even organising a concert in November where millions of shillings was raised.