Nairobi News

SportsWhat's Hot

KCB complete a hat-trick with Enterprise Cup win

Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB) completed their 2014/2015 rugby season in style with a hat-trick, thumping Homeboyz 28-0 defeat to lift the Enterprise Cup at the RFUEA grounds on Saturday.

After being held off by Homeboyz, who matched them in every aspect, for a slim 8-0 score at the break, the resilient bankers turned on the style in the second half to score four tries, a conversion and a penalty.

Second row Oliver Mang’eni, tight-head prop Curtis Lilako, substitute flanker Elly Mukaisi and substitute scrum half Essau Otieno touched down for KCB. Fullback Darwin Mukidza managed one conversion and two penalties.

Earlier, Kabras Sugar II dethroned KCB II off the Mwamba Cup title, winning 25-15 in extra time.

It was KCB’s third major silverware this season after retaining the National Sevens Series title and winning the Kenya Cup League crown.

“After losing in Kenya Cup and Enterprise Cup final to Nakuru last year, the technical bench, players and our sponsors got fired up,” said KCB coach Curtis Olago. “We knew what we had and it was just a matter of unleashing that potential.”

“It wasn’t just a matter of going to the board immediately. It’s a final and we had to test and know our weak and strong points and vice versa,” added Olago.

Graceful in defeat, Homeboyz coach Paul Murunga was in full praise for his charges for having reached their first ever final of a major 15s event.


“It was our best shot this year and we should only get better,” said Murunga adding that they got comfortable holding them off KCB without putting on points on the board.

“We had so many offside lines and lost possession easily. Our first 20 minutes should have reflected the entire match. At the end of the day experience counted at this stage,” explained Murunga.

Homeboyz got a penalty in the first minute but scrum half Harun Lubisia sliced wide.

Mukidza would put KCB on the board with an 11th minute penalty conversion as a thrilling end-to-end battle ensued.

It’s KCB who were on the ropes most of the time as they socked in pressure. The match remained nervy with Mukidza missing a penalty.

Mangeni would strike on the stroke of half time to put KCB ahead 8-0 as Mukidza’s conversion missed.

Mukidza extended the lead to 11-0 with a penalty as Homeboyz Etemesi was sinbinned by referee Godwin Karuga.

KCB got a penalty, went for touch before Lilako would score from the rolling maul to stretch the score at 16-0.

Mukaisi finished off a thrilling exchange between Fabian Olando and Allan Omuka with an equally breathtaking try before Otieno collected an overhead kick from Collins Wanjala to score.