KCSE results to be released Tuesday
More than 485,547 candidates who sat for the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examination last year will know their results on Tuesday.
Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi will release the results at Mitihani House against the background of a ban on ranking of schools and candidates imposed last year.
It is the first time that the results will include beneficiaries of the free primary education that was introduced in 2003 by then President Mwai Kibaki.
Students were tested in 31 subjects and sat for 74 papers.
The minimum subjects each student could take was seven while the maximum was nine subjects.
There were 8,211 examination centres, served by 828 distribution points.
Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers (Kuppet) on Sunday said the government should ensure that placement in universities and other tertiary institutions is above board since there is no ranking.
“We hope that the removal of ranking will not be a recipe of chaos the way it was with Form One selection,” said Kuppet chairman Omboko Milemba.
He called on the government to strengthen middle level colleges in order to ensure that every child who qualifies to join such an institution is able to.
During last year’s examination, there was some irregularities.
SALE OF EXAM PAPERS
For instance, a Kenyatta University student, Douglas Nyakamu Ongoro was charged in court after he was found with English, Kiswahili, Chemistry, History and Government papers.
He was selling them for between Sh50,000 and Sh200,000 a set.
In 2013, exam results of 3,353 candidates from 36 national and county schools were cancelled after they cheated. Their schools were consequently not ranked.