Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Kenyan teen hero shot dead over drug dispute in US

By HILARY KIMUYU December 15th, 2017 2 min read

A family in Kericho is grieving the death of their hero son in the United States after he was shot and later died following a suspected drug deal dispute.

Duncan Keter 19, made international news headlines in 2014, after he selflessly entered onto the tracks of an underground train station in Boston to save a man who had fallen and was unconscious.

According to Boston Globe, it was reported that police responded to a call for a person shot near Orleans and Marginal streets about 4.45pm on Sunday and found a man “suffering from what appeared to be a gunshot wound.”


Police said there was a dispute between Keter and another person, who shot him while they were in a car and dumped him on the streets. (Watch video here)

Thorus O’Brien, 18, was arrested on Monday and charged with murder, armed robbery, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm.

A 16-year-old was also charged with armed robbery in the same incident.

“O’Brien allegedly revealed himself as the vehicle was in motion, producing a firearm and demanding marijuana from the woman and Keter. When he met with verbal resistance, O’Brien allegedly fired, fatally injuring Keter. The group allegedly threw Keter and the woman from the vehicle onto the street.”

“Unbeknownst to Keter or the woman, however, O’Brien, was hidden in the rear cargo area of the vehicle,” Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office spokesman Jake Wark said in a statement.


At his native Changoi village in Belgut Constituency, his family is demanding for justice.

His mother, Mary Keter, is yet to come to terms with the sad news.

His sister, Daisy Keter, said they received the heartbreaking news on Monday morning, just hours after she chatted with her brother on WhatsApp.

“My father’s instinct alerted him that all was not well after my brother failed to answer his phone calls. After a tiring search and even passing a crowd that surrounded the body, he later found himself in the hands of police who broke the sad news to him,” said the sister.

Plans to bring the body home for burial are currently underway. His funeral service has been set for mid-January.

A GoFundMe page was created to help for pay Keter’s memorial service.