Kidero pledges to resettle uncompensated Sinai fire victims
Nairobi County Governor Evans Kidero has pledged to resettle all the remaining victims of the Sinai slums who never got any compensation.
Addressing residents of Viwandani Ward in Makadara constituency on Sunday, Dr Kidero said that he would make sure that those who never got any compensation do so by setting aside some funds to benefit them.
“I will make sure those who did not get any help or compensation after the fire also benefit,” said Dr Kidero.
In February this year, the victims of the 2011 fire incident lost a Sh25 billion compensation suit with the presiding judge, Justice Edward Muriithi, ruling that the victims did not file a proper suit and that each of them would have to prove their loss and establish liability for the order to be granted.
The judge further directed that the county government of Nairobi includes Sinai settlement in the slum upgrading programme to allow relocation or compensation to clear the Kenya Pipeline way leave.
At the same time, Dr Kidero said that he had already written to the Senate to petition the national government to allocate more money to the affected counties in the fight against drug abuse in the decrying the increase in cases of drugs abuse by youths in informal settlements saying that he would see to it that a rehabilitation center was built in the area to help the youths recover and lead normal lives.
“I will make sure that a new rehabilitation center is built here to help our youths recover from drug addiction,” he said.
The governor also allayed fears of infighting among National Super Alliance (Nasa) politicians in Nairobi County saying that they would soon, through consensus, make sure that they only present a single candidate for each and every elective position in the county.
“We know that in many areas we have more than one candidate but this should not worry you as we will soon reach an agreement on a single candidate to fight for the seat,” he said.
Meanwhile, Governor Kidero has asked the police not to interfere with Muslims who are observing the holy month of Ramadhan by harassing them when they go about their business at night and promised to avail to the Muslims City askaris to provide security until the end of the Holy month.
“I request the police not to interfere with you at night as you observe the Holy month. As a county, we will also give you our county askaris to offer security,” he said.
He urged the Muslims faithfuls, who constitute what is termed as a swing vote in Nairobi, not to gamble with their votes by supporting any candidate from Jubilee but offer their overwhelming support to Nasa.
He also offered to give Uhuru Park to the Muslims for free when they will be marking Id-Il-Fitr celebrations.
Dr Kidero was speaking during an Iftar dinner held at Arabian Cuisine hotel in Upperhill, Nairobi organized by Eastleigh Business Committee and the Nubian Council of Elders.
He was accompanied by his deputy Jonathan Mueke, Nairobi County ODM chair George Aladwa, and Embakasi South MP Irshad Sumra who all urged those present to only vote for Nasa candidates in Nairobi County.