Kidero sets up taskforce to probe cholera outbreak at DP’s Weston Hotel
Nairobi governor Evans Kidero has set up a taskforce of health experts to investigate last week’s outbreak of cholera at Weston Hotel.
The taskforce draws membership from the national government and the county government and will have two weeks to investigate and report on the outbreak.
The 15 member team of experts is led by the County Health Executive Health Dr Bernard Muia and comprises of representatives from the Ministry of Health, Nairobi Water and Sewerage Company , Doctors Without Borders, Kenya Red Cross , City clinic officers and other stakeholders.
Should the taskforce find the hotel culpable, it will be slapped with penalties outlined in the Public Health Act.
The hotel is associated with Deputy President William Ruto.
SCOPE OF INVESTIGATIONS
The taskforce held its first meeting on Tuesday to outline its scope of investigations.
Speaking at City Hall on Tuesday, Dr Muia said the team will investigate the source of the outbreak and how it spread in the hotel in a bid to prevent recurrence.
“The governor formed a taskforce to find out how this could have happened, who and why it happened… it comprises of experts from the county government, the national health sector and stakeholders particularly development partners to look into the circumstances that led to this outbreak,” said Dr Muia.
Dr Evans Kidero had initially promised to release an interim status report of the outbreak in two days after the cholera cases were confirmed, but Dr Muia said they are waiting for reports from laboratories.