Nairobi News

Must ReadNewsWhat's Hot

LSK demands action after Nairobi lawyer succumbs after being shot

By Hilary Kimuyu January 30th, 2024 2 min read

The Law Society of Kenya (LSK) is calling for decisive action following the death of a High Court advocate who was shot on Sunday, January 28, and later succumbed to his injuries in the hospital on Monday, January 29.

While condemning the attack, LSK is also demanding action against the gunmen behind it.

Police said that Anthony Gathitu Kabathi, a lawyer with the Kabuthi and Company Advocates law firm in Nairobi, was shot multiple times by unknown assailants as he drove from Wajir to Isiolo, where he had gone to meet a client.

LSK President Eric Theuri said the lawyer was immediately rushed to Galaxy Hospital in Isiolo and later transferred to St. Theresa Mission Hospital Kiirua in Meru.

Mission Hospital Kiirua in Meru, where he underwent surgery.

“Unfortunately, despite the best efforts of the medical team, he succumbed to his injuries,” Theuri revealed.

“The Law Society of Kenya calls for an urgent and thorough investigation. We implore the law enforcement agencies to leave no stone unturned in identifying and bringing the perpetrators of this heinous crime to book.”

He said they would closely monitor the progress of the investigation and provide the necessary support to the relevant authorities to ensure that justice is done.

Kabathi was driving back to Nairobi from a client meeting in Garissa when he was ambushed along the Isiolo-Modogashe Road.

Police said he was attacked near Laga Logo, about five kilometers from a police camp – an area notorious for marauding bandits.

“Our officers received a distress call from members of the public who alerted us that there was a man was bleeding in a car (Toyota Land cruiser V8) that had veered off the road and stalled in a bush,” a statement from police read in part.

The lawyer sustained severe gunshot wounds to his chest, left hand, thumb, and left side of his abdomen during the ambush.

General Service Unit officers who responded to the scene found the victim’s car doors and boot open and the driver bleeding.

They believe that he was also robbed of an unknown amount of money and other valuables.

The officers, who were in a Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicle, searched the area and administered first aid to the lawyer before taking him to Isiolo Galaxy Hospital, where he was admitted as they found a way to airlift him to Nairobi.