Nairobi News

LifeWhat's Hot

Polygamous man who killed cheating wife set free by court

A father of ​10 ​who killed his second wife after finding her with another man has been set free.

The High Court in Nanyuki on Thursday ruled that the man, Matea Manyaas, committed the offence out of anger.

Justice Mary Kasango made the ruling after the charge was reduced from murder charge to manslaughter.

The man committed the offence on June 21, 2015 at Kimanju village, in Laikipia County.

The court heard that on the fateful day, around 9pm, Mr Manyaas returned to his homestead from a safari that had taken him about four days.

He knocked the door of his house where he lived with his wife Santaiya Matea. He noticed the door was not locked from inside and gained entry into the house, waking up the deceased.


She looked worried and disturbed. As Mr Manyaas inquired on the cause of her worry, suddenly a man emerged from their bedroom armed with a rungu and tried to escape, the court heard.

Mr Manyaas immediately drew his sword, and as he was attacking the strange man, the deceased stepped in to defend the man, blocking the sword with her arm and in the melee got a deep cut on the left arm.

In the ensuing confrontation, the stranger escaped and Mr Manyaas gave chase.

He lost control of himself and chased everybody around before being calmed down by his brother.

Together they summoned a boda boda operator who took the deceased to Kimanju hospital. She was later referred to Nanyuki District Hospital, but died on the way to hospital due to excessive bleeding.

Mr Manyaas, in his testimony, had told the court that he did not intentionally kill his wife.




He stated that he was first time offender – a fact​ c​onfirmed by​ prosecution – and that he regretted the act which was committed out of provocation.

He further said that he has eight children with his first wife and two children with his deceased and all children were young and depended on him.

The court found that the injury was an unintended consequence of his anger.

“It is also important to note that the other man was armed with a rungu and it is possible that Mr Manyaas apprehended danger when he drew his sword. The court takes into account that a consequence of his decision to draw his sword resulted in the death of his wife,” stated the judge.

The court also found that that the period he had been in custody, close to two years, was sufficient punishment.