Nairobi News

Must Read

Man suspected of killing 2 friends detained for five days – VIDEO

A man arrested in February on suspicion of killing two men who went missing after he was last seen with them before a body of one of them was found in Naivasha will remain in police custody until July 27.

Dennis Ndubi Mauda is suspected of killing Joshua Gichuki Mwangi and Ben Maxwell Anyira who disappeared on February 4 and 5 after he requested them to assist him as he took his wife to the hospital.

Detective corporal Lucas Juma of Directorate of Criminal Investigations’ [DCI] Nairobi head offices had made an application for extension of custodial orders for five days to take the suspect for mental assessment but Mauda objected. He will be charged with the murder of the two.

The suspect unsuccessfully pleaded with senior principal magistrate Bernard Ochoi to grant him bail and bonds pending the remaining part of investigations.

Mauda argued that he has been complying with investigators since the day he was summoned by Dagoretti DCI chief Francis Wanjau on July 4 and appeared before him the next day.

But Ochoi allowed Juma to hold Maunda for the period pending the mental examination.

Maunda had approached Mwangi at his home in Riruta on February 3 at around 7:30 pm and requested him to help him rush his wife to the hospital using his car KCS 481F, a Toyota Succeed.

Anyira telephoned his wife and informed her that he was accompanying Mwangi to take a sick woman to the hospital. His body was later found at Ngubi forest along Kamandura-Mai Mahiu road on February 20.

Mwangi has never been found dead or alive but his car was found abandoned at a car wash in Ruaka, along Limuru road on February 4.

In an affidavit filed at Milimani law courts on July 7, Juma said Maunda had held a meeting at Ngara with the two victims before they proceeded to Riruta and later returned to the same area at around 2pm the same day.

Juma holds that Maunda is in possession of information that can help to trace Mwangi as well as help unravel the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of the two and identities of other perpetrators of the heinous acts.

He had obtained custodial orders that ended on July 17 and sought extension of the same for five days.