Matatu and bus saccos with “silly” names
You at the bus stop waiting to board a matatu to your next destination; when the matatu finally shows up your attention is attracted by an unprintable name. Now you wonder whether or not to board this mathree with that silly sacco name.
Strange as some of these names may sound, the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) says that they get the names of the saccos in full but what the directors of the saccos end up emblazoning on the matatus surprises even them.
Here are a few matatu and bus sacco with names that could make you cringe.
1. Climax Coaches – They operate between Nairobi, Nakuru, Eldoret, Kitale and Bungoma.
2. Dix Hult – Nairobi, Kariobangi, Outering, Huruma and Eastleigh
3. Ennus – It’s from South Kinagop
4. Famwenaakume – Can you even pronounce the name? Apparently matatus from this sacco ply the Nairobi, Kisii, Kilgori and Eldoret upcountry route.
5. Juthi – Matatus from this sacco are from Mombasa and they do their business between Mtwapa and Bombolulu.
6. Nakamata – These matatus operate in Nakuru town.
7. Usenge – Unless you’re from the lakeside city of Kisumu, you won’t get it. These matatus shuttle between Kisumu, Bondo and Usenge.