MCAs distance themselves from ‘Sonko Defence Forces’
Three Nairobi MCAs summoned by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) in connection with a suspected militia yesterday denied any involvement with them.
The MCAs said they were yet to receive summonses to record statements with the DCI, save for ‘letters circulating on social media’.
The ward representatives were summoned by the DCI on June 7, together with Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko, to record statements over their alleged involvement with a militia named Sonko Defence Forces.
Those summoned included Waithaka Ward MCA Anthony Kiragu, Mlango Kubwa MCA Patricia Mutheu and nominated MCA Ruth Ndumi.
Ms Mutheu said she did not understand how her name got into the DCI list.
However, the MCA said she was ready to present herself to clear her name.
“I have never associated with goons and so I do not know what criteria was used to have my name there,” she said. Mr Kiragu said he was planning to inquire from the agency on his alleged involvement in the issue.
“I have not directly received any letter (from the DCI) but I have just seen it on social media. I am planning to go and ask the author of the letter about the same. I do not think there is anything like Sonko Defence Forces but if it is there, then I am not involved in any way,” said Mr Kiragu.
However, the county assembly leadership confirmed that it had received official communication from the DCI requiring the MCAs to record a statement.
“The DCI has written to the clerk of the county assembly urging him to notify the members to record statements over the issue in question but they are yet to do so,” Majority Leader Abdi Guyo said.
The clerk, Mr Jacob Ngwele, also confirmed that the assembly, through the Office of the Speaker, had received a letter from the DCI. He, nonetheless, said it is not the work of the Speaker to notify members on issues that have happened outside the assembly.
Last week, Governor Sonko had rubbished the summons claiming they were aimed at silencing the MCAs, adding that no amount of intimidation will stop him from exercising his duties.
“I wish to categorically deny claims of existence of a militia by the name Sonko Defence Forces.
“This is yet another attempt to divert attention of Nairobians and by extension Kenyans from real issues to be substituted with petty politics of intimidation and threats,” Mr Sonko posted on his Facebook wall on Wednesday.