Moi defies Uhuru, says his private schools will remain open
Retired President Daniel arap Moi on Sunday said private schools would continue to operate in defiance of the government order.
Mr Moi, who owns several schools, also criticised teachers’ unions which called the strike, now in its 20th day, saying they should have been more open to dialogue.
“The children of Kenya do not deserve such heartless treatment and it is time stakeholders and leaders came together to seek a lasting solution,” he said at Kabarak Chapel.
On Monday, private school owners are expected to go to court to challenge the order by Education Cabinet Secretary Jacob Kaimenyi to close schools and forward the fees paid to next term.
Prof Kaimenyi had last week said the government had revised term dates. As a result, the third term ends Monday.
But on Sunday, Kenya Private Schools Association CEO Peter Ndoro said attempts by its officials to seek audience with Prof Kaimenyi had failed.
“We have been making several attempts to meet the Cabinet secretary but have not been successful. That is why we will be going to court to be allowed to go on with teaching,” he said.
Private schools account for about two million of the 14 million learners, with about 180,000 being in secondary schools.
The Kenya Publishers Association is also expected to raise the question of the strike among other issues at a press conference in Nairobi this morning.