Museveni deletes tweet on his first public appearance after Covid-19 positive test
President Yoweri Museveni of Uganda has deleted part of a tweet in which he announced that he would be making his first public appearance on Thursday, one week after testing positive for Covid-19.
President Museveni had initially said he would address the Ugandan Parliament during the tabling of the country’s budget but from a distance of 300 meters. He also announced that his Vice President, Jessica Alupo, would inspect the guard of honor and take the salute for the march on his behalf.
However, hours later, his statement was edited to remove the announcement that he would physically appear at Parliament and would now address Parliamentarians virtually.
“Since I am not travelling to Kiev and Russia, I will be able to address Parliament tomorrow, virtually, on the budget Day. Otherwise, I had delegated the whole effort to VP Alupo. Now that I am not travelling, she will inspect the Parade for me, take the salute for the march past and I will make my brief remarks at the end of budget speech,” said President Museveni in the new statement.
President Museveni first broke health guidelines and protocols when he first tested positive and then went for a public function where he made his State of The Nation address. It was in this event that he announced he had contracted the highly infectious virus and that he was seeking treatment.
In subsequent days, he announced he was going on forced leave – the second time he has ever done this in his life – and delegated some duties to his Prime Minister, Ms Robinah Nabbanja, as VP Alupo had been out of the country at the time.
President Museveni has remained in isolation as three other re-tests he undertook all showed he was still positive for coronavirus. in the meantime he has been journaling on social media about his health, the treatment he receives and how his days in isolation unfold.
In these journals, he also addresses various issues important to Ugandans and at times, hits out at his detractors. These detractors include the media, which he accused of continuously publishing false news, and Kenyans on social media which he accused of spreading lies that he was admitted in ICU since he tested positive for Covid-19.