Mutahi Ngunyi to sue Auditor General over NYS report
Political commentator Mutahi Ngunyi has said that he will sue the Auditor-General for stating that he was overpaid for work done for the National Youth Service.
Mr Ngunyi made the statement via Twitter on Monday after the report on how he was paid Sh12.5 million more than what was due to him was published in the media.
He attributed the Auditor-General’s report to malice and politics by the Opposition.
Mr Ngunyi’s firm, The Consulting House, was hired to restructure the National Youth Service in what later came to be referred to as the NYS 5-Point Vision.
The firm was registered in November 2009 and its directors are Mr Godfrey Mutahi Ngunyi and Ms Judith Langat Mutahi.
It had two contracts — one signed in March 2014 for Sh40 million and another for Sh50 million.
The first one was fulfilled and Mr Ngunyi was paid.
However, it was in the second one that Auditor-General Edward Ouko discovered that he was paid Sh62.5 million, which was 25 per cent more than the agreed contractual sum of Sh50 million.
“Further enquiries revealed that the payment of Sh12.5 million on April 21, 2015 was done using a copy of (the) invoice dated March 11, 2015, which had been used to support an earlier payment of the same amount done on March 16, 2015,” the Auditor-General said.
Mr Ouko, however, does not state whether the money was refunded or any steps taken to recover it.