NMG journalists scoop Media Council awards
Nine Nation Media Group journalists bagged awards during the fifth Annual Journalism Excellence Awards held on Tuesday night in Nairobi.
The Daily Nation led the pack with acting Special Projects Editor, John Kamau, scooping the overall journalist of the year award. He also bagged the business reporting award, print, for his serialization on the coffee scandal.
“Thank you to my sources in the coffee industry. I hope you will get reward for your troubled toil,” said Mr Kamau after the victorious night.
Daily Nation Editor-in-Chief, Tom Mshindi, lauded the outstanding performance by NGM journalists.
“It is the professional work done by these journalists that ensures that NMG platforms stand out and guarantees that we give our readers, viewers and listeners superior content all the time,” Mr Mshindi said in his congratulatory note.
“I expect that their success will trigger a hunger for more and encourage other colleagues to drive for greater success,” he added.
The Daily Nation Associate Editor Ng’ang’a Mbugua also congratulated the NGM winners calling it a special night for the publication.
“Last night (Tuesday night) was a special one for Daily Nation journalists who won top awards when the Media Council of Kenya honoured the industry’s best,” he tweeted.
Other Nation journalists who won on the night include Verah Okeyo, who bagged the gender reporting print award, Cheboit Kigen, who was named the photographer of the year, Abiud Ochieng (good governance reporting) and Dorothy Kweyu who shared the lifetime contribution in journalism award with communications guru Salim Lone.
Others are NTV’s Edmond Nyabola and Stephen Mwei (sports reporting TV) and Mercy Juma and Adram Mulama (gender reporting TV).
Here is the full list of the winners:
1. Journalist of the year – John Kamau, Daily Nation
2. Business Reporting Award Print – John Kamau, Daily Nation
3. Lifetime Contribution in Journalism award – Veteran Category – Salim Lone and Dorothy Kweyu, Daily Nation
4. ICT award TV category – John Juma and Edmond Odour
5. Gender Reporting Award Radio – Ruth Keah, Radio Rahma
6. Gender Reporting TV – Mercy Juma and Adram Mulama, NTV
7. Gender Reporting print – Verah Okeyo, Daily Nation
8. Environment Reporting Award Print – Wanjohi Kabukuru, New African Magazine
9. Environment Reporting Award Radio – Ali Maingu, Radio Salaam
10. Environment reporting award TV – Alex Chamwada of Chams media/KTN
11. Sports Reporting Award TV – Edmond Nyabola and Stephen Mwei of NTV Kenya
12. Sports Reporting Award Print – Isaac Omulo Okoth, The Standard
13. Health Reporting Award Print – William Inganga, The Star
14. Health Reporting Award TV – Marie Yambo and Anthony Muhatia, KBC
15. Health Reporting Award Radio – Brian Osweta, Baraka FM
16. Business Reporting Award TV – Duncan Khaemba and Edwin Mwai, K24
17. Business Reporting Award Radio – Joseph Jira, Baraka FM
18. Good Governance Reporting Award Print – Abiud Ochieng, Daily Nation
19. Good governance Reporting award Radio – Solomon Zully, Radio Salaam
20. Good Governance Reporting Award TV – Zubeida Koome and Moses Mweri Baya, KTN
21. Cartoonist of the Year – Erick Ngammau (Gammz), The Standard
22. Cameraperson of the year award – Eugene Osidiana, K24
23. Photographer of the year Award – Cheboit Kigen, Daily Nation