NN Lifestyle: Let go of people who aren’t ready to love you – hard truths about life
The popular adage ‘The truth shall set you free’ is something that doesn’t quite sink in until you have had enough of something.
It’s when you feel like you can’t take any more of something that has been eating at you for a certain period of time, and reality hits you that it’s not until you come clean with yourself or another that you will have the “weight of the world lifted off your shoulders”.
As we usher in this new year, it is more or less a custom to take note of the lessons that the previous year taught us.
Among many lessons to take into account, there are also some hard truths that we learn and choose to carry on with us in order to lead a better and healthy life.
If you have been working on your new year resolutions, then there’s no better place, or article to start you off. Here are some hard truths about life to take note of as we delve into 2023.
1. Let go of people who aren’t ready to love you. This is the hardest thing you will ever have to do in your life and it will also be the most important thing.
2. Stop having difficult conversations with people who don’t want to change.
3. Stop showing up for people who have no interest in your presence. I know your instinct is to do everything you can to gain the appreciation of those around you, but it’s an impulse that steals your time, energy, mental, and physical health. When you start fighting for a life with joy, interest, and commitment, not everyone will be ready to follow you to that place. That doesn’t mean you have to change who you are, it means you have to let go of people who aren’t ready to be with you.
4. If you are excluded, insulted, forgotten, or ignored by the people you give your time to, you are not doing yourself a favor by continuing to offer them your energy and your life. Truth is, you’re not for everyone and not everyone is for you. This is what makes it so special when you find people that you have friendship or love match. You will know how precious it is because you’ve experienced what it isn’t. There are billions of people on this planet and a lot of them you will find at your level of interest and commitment. Maybe if you stop showing up, they won’t look for you. Maybe if you stop trying, the relationship ends.
Maybe if you stop texting, your phone will stay dark for weeks. That doesn’t mean you ruined the relationship, it means the only thing that was holding it was the energy that only you gave to keep it. That’s not love, that’s attachment. You deserve so much more. The most valuable thing you have in your life is your time and energy as both are limited. The people and things you give your time and energy to will define your existence. When you realize this you start to understand why you’re so anxious when you spend time with people, activities, or spaces that don’t suit you and shouldn’t be near you. You’ll start to realize that the most important thing you can do for yourself and everyone around you, is to protect your energy more fiercely than anything else.
5. Make your life a safe haven, in which only people “compatible” with you are allowed.
6. You are not responsible for saving anyone. It’s not your responsibility to convince them to improve.
7. It’s not your job to exist for people and give them your life! You deserve real friendships, true commitments, and complete love with healthy, prosperous people.
8. Deciding to distance yourself from harmful people, will give you the love, esteem, happiness, and protection you deserve.