Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

No entry, Pastor Ng’ang’a’s family tells police

A dramatic chase ensued on Friday at Pastor James Ng’ang’a residence in Karen on Friday morning after journalists were assaulted and their equipment confiscated while covering the night raid aftermath.

Journalists arrived at the maisonette that sits on about a quarter of an acre at the leafy suburbs in the morning after the family had reported a night raid at the Pastor’s house.

On arrival, they were met by a visibly angry group of youths with some wielding machetes at them as they were chased out of the residence.

A KTN cameraman was injured during the attack as he tried to film the confrontation and his camera was confiscated.

His colleague however managed to capture the attack on tape and the journalists left the Karen residence to report the assault at Hardy Police Station.

The injured cameraman was taken to the hospital for treatment after recording a statement at the police station.

A man wields a machete during confrontation between a group of youth and police officers at Pastor James Ng’ang’a’s residence in Karen.

The officer in charge of the station (OCS) accompanied journalists to the residence and his plans to recover the camera were futile as he was informed that it would be presented to the police station.


Langata Division Deputy OCPD Mwangi Kuria arrived at the residence at about midday and talked with a woman who was inside the pastor’s house through the intercom system at the gate.

After negotiations with the occupants of the house through the intercom, the police boss told journalists that the camera will be taken to the police station failure to which a warrant would be used to access the house.

“The house occupants have complained that you (journalists) breached their rights as citizens but we will recover the camera and present it to the media house,” said Mr Kuria.

The police team of eight officers that was led by their boss then hurriedly left the Pastor’s residence leaving journalists flabbergasted.

Pastor Ng’ang’a’s house was reported to have been raided on Thursday morning by an armed gang of four to five men who accessed the house by cutting grills and stole more than Sh500, 000 and electronics.

Journalists were however not allowed into the private residence hence photos of the cut grills and those of inside the raided house were not available.