Nyong’o suspends demos in Kisumu, says his team will join Nairobi protests
Kisumu Governor Anyang’ Nyong’o has announced the suspension of anti-government demonstrations in his home county and instead said that his team will now join protesters in Nairobi.
Governor Nyong’o said the decision was arrived at following consultations with the Azimio la Umoja – One Kenya Coalition national leadership.
“After wide consultations I have decided to suspend all the demonstrations in Kisumu so as we can join the protests in Nairobi,” Governor Nyong’o said.
The demonstrations by Azimio leaders and their supporters entered week 2 with two people in Kisumu so far reported dead.
On Monday a man shot dead while walking near Patels Flat in Kondele where youths were pelting police with stones before they opened fire.
The clashes started when police officers attempted to block the youths from accessing the city’s CBD from the main bus stage.
The shooting escalated demonstrations as youths engaged the police in violent running battles along Jomo Kenyatta Highway, Aga Khan Hospital and Nyalenda slums where a police officer seriously injured after being hit by a stone.
The demonstrators were trying to access the UDA Kisumu office in Milimani estate.
During last week’s demonstrations, a third-year Maseno University student died after he was shot by the police.
Mr William Mayange was pronounced dead moments after he was rushed to Coptic Hospital with a bullet wound on his neck.
The incident happened shortly after 5pm on Monday, March 20, as students from the university continued to engage the police in running battles.
The students had joined other protestors and even barricaded the busy Kisumu-Busia road.