Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Police grill three suspects in kidnap case

Detectives say they are questioning three main suspects behind the kidnapping of Nairobi-based businesswoman Hafsa Mohamed Lukman.

The two suspects, Jackson Njogu, 24, and Hafsa Abdi, 21 were arrested at Crystal view lodge in Kinangop, Nyandarua County, at the weekend.

The 23-year-old, Hafsa, who lives at California Estate in Nairobi, was found by detectives in a dingy room in Matopeni, Kayole, where she had been forced to stay inside an empty water tank.

Police say the two lovers, who masterminded the kidnap of Hafsa Mohamed from her shop, allegedly managed to siphon a total of Sh650,000 from the victim’s bank accounts while she was in captivity.

“After committing the crime, they (Jackson Njogu and Hafsa Abdi) escaped to Kinangop and purchased a bar, where they were operating from,” a tweet by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations read.

Hafsa’s kidnappers were demanding Ksh5 million ransom which according to the DCI was not delivered.

“When the ransom wasn’t delivered, they opted to flee from our detectives who were closing in on them,” DCI added.

Reports of Hafsa came to light after a video emerging of her pleading with her family to pay the Ksh5 million ransom demanded by the kidnappers surfaced.

The businesswoman was seen tied up and blindfolded, with bruises on her face. This led to investigations whereby Lukman’s family shared all the information from the kidnappers to the detectives.

Speaking to media on Sunday, Hafsa revealed that one of the suspects, Hafsa Abdi was her neighbor and she had approached her for a business partnership.

“We were neighbours but we didn’t know each other that well. She told me she wants us to do business together. She convinced me and I accepted,” Hafsa said.

Police have so far arrested three people in connection with the kidnapping.

Syrus Ndung’u Njogu was arrested on June 20, the same day Hafsa was rescued by police.

The suspect was arrested after his mobile phone signals were traced very close to where Hafsa was being held.

He was arraigned in court last Tuesday and the investigation team granted 10 days to hold him as they conclude investigations.

The two suspects will be arraigned on Monday