Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Police officer detained for two hours after showing up in court drunk

A police officer who was to testify in a case involving Mr Joshua Waiganjo, who was accused of being a police imposter, was thrown into court cells after he showed up at the dock drunk.

Chief Inspector Biot Miruni Wafula was unable to testify before court on Wednesday morning when he turned up drunk.

The officer was kept in the cells for two hours and released on a personal bond of Sh50,000. He will appear in court to face charges of appearing in court drunk.

The officer was among seven witnesses, including former Commissioner of Police Mr Mathew Iteere who were to testify in an abuse of office case facing former Rift Valley Police boss (PPO) Mr John M’Mbijiwe and former Anti-Stock Theft Unit Commandant Michael Remi Ngugi.

Six witnesses failed to turned to turn up to testify while Chief Inspector Wafula was found to be too drunk to give his testimony, forcing Principal Magistrate Joe Omido to direct that he be remanded in the court cells.

Mr M’Mbijiwe and Mr Ngugi have denied abuse of office charges and cushioning Mr Waiganjo who was accused of masquerading as a senior police officer for years without being detected.

The prosecution, led by Ms Sandra Kosgei, told the court that the witness was not in his right frame of mind to give his testimony and thus she could not proceed with the hearing.


“The prosecution only has one out of seven witnesses present but it appears that his condition right now will not allow him continue with his testimony,” said Ms Kosgei.

The court further heard that Mr Iteere, who was supposed to appear on Wednesday following court summons, was not served with the orders.

The court had on February 2 issued summons against Mr Iteere requiring him to shed light on the controversy surrounding the appointment of Waiganjo.

The summons were issued after lawyer Pravin Bowry, during a previous cross examination of former Rift Valley Provincial police boss (PPO) Mr Francis Musembi, a prosecution witness, linked the appointment of Mr Waiganjo to Mr Iteere.

However, the prosecution told the court on Wednesday that the investigations officer had not served the former police boss with the summons and that they were waiting for a nominal roll from the police headquarters which was to be used by Mr Iteere in his evidence.

The prosecution further told the court that other witnesses, Ms Jacinta Wasonga and Chief Inspector Nzioka were held up in official duties.

Another witness Mr Earnest Obonyo, former Naivasha Divisional Police Commander OCPD was said to be unwell.


Mr Waiganjo is also battling another case in which he is accused of impersonating a police officer.

This was after a High Court sitting in Naivasha ordered for a fresh trial of the case in which he was handed five -year jail term in October 2015 by a lower court.

He was convicted for wearing police uniforms without authority and impersonating a police officer and three charges of being in possession of government equipment.

Justice Christine Meoli quashed the sentence on June 7 following a successful appeal lodged by Mr Waiganjo.

The court noted that the accused did not undergo a fair trial as crucial evidence was left out during hearing. Mr Waiganjo is out on a Sh 500,000 bond.