Prominent people who died in 2015
The year 2015 witnessed deaths of prominent Kenyans who touched our lives in one way or the other.
Here are some of the notable people that we lost during the year.
1. Fidel Odinga – In January 4, Kenyans woke to the shocking news of the death of Fidel Odinga who was found dead in his home in Karen.
Fidel Castro Odinga, 41, had returned home on Saturday night after an evening out drinking with friends and was found dead in his bed on Sunday.
2. George Muchai – The Kabete Member of Parliament was shot dead along Kenyatta avenue together with his two bodyguards and driver. Masked gunmen opened fire at them, killing all of them on the spot.
The MP was coming from a family meeting in Westlands and was headed home. The MP’s car, a four-wheel drive, had slowed down at a roundabout when another car rammed it from the side.
3. Benson Wanjau alias Mzee Ojwang – Mzee Ojwang, as he was popular known, passed away at the Kenyatta National Hospital where he had been admitted. He was said to have been suffering from Pneumonia. The actor played key roles in local programmes like Vitimbi, Vioja Mahakami, Vituko and Kinyonga among others.
4. Mzee Maze Galana – He is the man who helped in the production of Kenya’s national anthem. The once Mathematics, Kiswahili and Music teacher was 44 years old when he helped in producing the tune.
5. Nana Gichuru – She was an actress killed in a grisly accident when her car rammed into a lorry near Utawala, Nairobi. The accident dominated the social media where Kenyans posted condolence messages, while others shared her photographs and videos.
Curiously, the lady who is said to have previously worked at the Kenya Airways had been posting what appears to be premonitions of her death on social media, often asking why people always questioned her high speed driving.
6. Sammy Murimi Nderi alias Murimi wa Kahalf – He was popular for his Gikuyu hit “Momo”.
The musician was receiving treatment at a Nairobi hospital for a while before he died. Before his demise he had been posting very spiritual messages on social media and also thanked everyone who was praying for his recovery.
7. Ahmed Darwesh – He was a KTN’s Kiswahili anchor and died while being rushed to hospital. The anchor, who also wrote a column in the Nairobian newspaper, was diabetic.
8. Dick Wathika – He was a former Nairobi mayor and Makadara MP. He passed on while being rushed to Karen hospital.