Recipe: How to cook the perfect coconut fish this Madaraka Day
This Madaraka Day treat your family to some yummy fish in coconut curry.
Find this Kenyan recipe and others on Mamake Bobo’s Facebook page
– Fish fillet
– Coconut milk
– Red onion
– Semi ripe mango (more raw than ripe)
– Hoho (bell peppers)
– Green chillies
– All-purpose flour
– Cooking oil.
– Black pepper
– Garam masala
– Turmeric powder
– Chop all the vegetables
– Peel and cube the mango (cut in to cubes)
– Cut the fish fillet in to 2 inch cubes, sprinkle salt and black pepper then mix to evenly distribute the seasoning. Now add the all-purpose flour and make sure the pieces are well coated. Shake each piece to remove any access flour.
– Heat a pan with very little oil on medium heat, once heated add in the coated fish pieces in batches.
– Don’t overcrowd the pan. Once one side has lightly browned turn and let the other side brown too.
– Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Keep aside.
– Add a few tablespoons on cooking oil in the same pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook till golden brown.
– Add in all the spices and salt, cook for a minute then add in the tomatoes and chillies (pilipili). Cook these until soft enough to mash in to a paste.
– Once you have crushed the tomatoes in to a paste, add in the carrots, hohos and mix.
– Immediately add in the mango pieces and the coconut milk. (If your mango is ripe add it in the end).
– Let this cook on medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
– Taste and adjust the seasoning.
– Now add in the fish pieces and mix. Let this cook for about 3 minutes.
– Add dhania, mix then serve.