Ruto orders Uasin Gishu officials to refund Finland Scholarship cash
President William Ruto has asked Uasin Gishu county officials who were involved in the Finland scholarship scandal to refund the residents their monies.
Speaking while touring Eldoret, the Head of State said the culprits should plan to pay up the monies or they will be on the wrong side of the law.
Sympathizing with the affected residents, President Ruto noted it was so unfortunate that parents had to sell their belonging to cater to the required amount and then be dubbed.
“Sasa mambo ya uchunguzi inaendelea…Wale wote, kama kuna mtu alikula hiyo pesa ajipange kulipa mapema ama ataingia taabani. Hakuna maneno ya kubembelezana, pesa ya ng’ombe ya mtu ama aliuza shamba lazima arudishiwe. (Now that investigations are ongoing….those who squandered the money must plan to pay or else they will face the wrath. This is not a negotiation. Those who sold their cows or pieces of land must be refunded), ” he said.
Additionally, Dr Ruto shared that the culprits were embarrassing the county and promised that once the investigations are done, he will see to it that all the affected students get scholarships in Kenya.
“Lakini hapo mbele wakati uchunguzi utamalizika, mimi nitaona vile nitasaidia watoto waliohusika na maneno haya sababu ni watoto wetu, hawana hatia na ni vile innocent. Lakini sio kumaanisha kuwa wale waliiba pesa watahepa…hapana, hapana. (When investigations are done, I will help all the students involved because they are innocent and had done nothing wrong. But that does not mean that those who stole the money will be let go…no! No!).”
In the morning, the National Police Service (NPS) issued a warrant of arrest against Jackson Mandago, the former Uasin Gishu governor and current Senator as well as three other former officials. This comes after Mandago and his co-accused failed to appear before the Nakuru Chief Magistrate to address eleven charges including theft, abuse of office, and conspiracy to commit a felony.
WARRANT OF ARREST AGAINST SENATOR JACKSON MANDAGO
— National Police Service-Kenya (@NPSOfficial_KE) August 16, 2023
Last week, the county leadership convened a meeting to listen to the grievances of parents and students who paid money under the controversial programme, which could not be properly accounted for. Some 125 students from the county had been left stranded at home after the county government handling the trust account failed to remit the same to the learning institutions in Finland and Canada.
Last month, Governor Jonathan Bii declared that the county government was not in a position to refund the money because the trust account had only Sh1.8 million.
“We are not able to refund the money demanded by parents regarding the Canada and Finland study program because the trust account has only Sh1.8 million. A whopping Sh33 million cannot be accounted for,” he said.