Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Son of city tycoon killed in gangland shooting, police deny role – PHOTOS

Police on Sunday dismissed claims that they were involved in the killing of a well-known businessman’s son in Westlands, Nairobi.

Heavily armed gunmen shot and killed Mr Bunty Shah at his family’s home on the junction of Peponi and General Mathenge roads.

The victim was the only son of Mr Vipin Shah, the owner of the giant Bobmil Industries Ltd.

Witnesses said they heard a loud bang around 3am on Sunday and an unknown number of people who were hooded stormed the compound in three vehicles after damaging the main gate to the home.

One of the vehicles was reportedly armoured. Gunshots were heard before other family members in the house realised that Mr Shah had been shot.


He was then taken to MP Shah Hospital, where he died on arrival.

Mr Kiru Shah, an uncle of the victim, said Bunty, 32, was shot on the chest at close range through his bedroom window when he woke up to find out what was happening.

A night guard who was injured at the gate when the attackers drove into the compound is in hospital.

“He was woken up by the commotion and did not resist arrest. They left when they noticed that one of them had shot him,” said the uncle at the scene.

The late Bunty Shah who was allegedly shot dead by police when they raided his home in Westlands on the morning of October 22, 2017.
The late Bunty Shah who was allegedly shot dead by police when they raided his home in Westlands on the morning of October 22, 2017.

Another witness said they were woken up by gunshots and on visiting the home, they found the gate partly damaged.

When the Nation arrived at the scene, some workers were repairing it.

Mr Harish Patel, a close friend of the victim, said he was executed in gangland style.

“The vehicles they arrived in had no number plates and we are demanding that proper investigations be carried out to ascertain the reason behind the operation,” he said.


He told journalists that his friend had not complained of any threats on his life.

“He was a happy man, who loved his friends. His family has suffered a big loss,” said Mr Patel.

He showed a grenade clip that was left behind.

Gigiri police boss Vitalis Otieno said there was a shootout between the victim and the attackers. He, however, denied claims that police officers were involved in the operation.

“The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has taken up investigations. But there was no officer involved,” Mr Otieno said.

Former Parklands MCA Jaffer Kassam, who consoled the family, also called on the authorities to conduct thorough investigations into the case to ensure justice.