Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Sonko summoned after MRC leader skips court date

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko has been summoned to court to explain the whereabouts of Mombasa Republic Council (MRC) leader Omar Hamisi Mwamnuadzi who failed to attend court on Monday.

The council gained notoriety eight years ago over its campaign for secession of the coastal region through its slogan ‘Pwani Si Kenya‘.

The government subsequently declared the group to be an illegal organization, but a High Court in Mombasa ruled that the decision was unconstitutional.

Omar Mwamnuadzi (centre), arrives at the law court cells with MRC members on October 15, 2012. PHOTO | FILE
Omar Mwamnuadzi (centre), arrives at the law court cells with MRC members on October 15, 2012. PHOTO | FILE


Mr Sonko stood surety for Mr Mwamnuadzi who is facing a charge of being in possession of a firearm and rounds of ammunitions.

Mombasa chief magistrate Douglas Ogoti also issued a warrant of arrest against Mr Mwamnuadzi following an application by the prosecution.

The court directed the summons against the flamboyant senator and the warrant of arrest against Mwamnuadzi be effected by the Kwale County Criminal Investigations Officer.

Principal Prosecution Counsel Jami Yamina made an application for the warrant against Mr Mwamnuadzi to be issued saying medical documents presented to court claiming the accused had been hospitalized were not genuine.

“We have verified the documents, the accused was never hospitalized at the hospital, the electronic medical number on the documents relates to another person,” said Mr Yamina.

Mr Yamina also sought permission to make an application to prosecute the case in the absence of Mr Mwamnuadzi.

“It is clear to us the prosecution that he (accused) intentionally absconded,” said Mr Yamina adding that the accused has skipped court cases against him in Kwale and warrants of arrest issued.

According to the prosecution, it has no intention to withdraw charges against the secessionist group leader.

In his ruling, the magistrate said there was intention to mislead the court on June 13 when it (court) was told that the accused had been hospitalized.