Seven things to know about Sonko’s running mate, Igathe
When aspiring governor Mike Sonko unveiled Vivo Energy CEO Polycarp Igathe as his running mate on Tuesday, the internet was awash that he is also the son of businessman Chris Kirubi.
Igathe has in the past, during an interview on Business Daily with Jackson Biko, termed the claims as a misconception because he worked at Kirubi’s Haco Industries for 10 years.
Before the Haco job, Igathe was at Kenya Breweries as sales operations manager and later marketing manager.
Here are seven things to know about Sonko’s deputy.
1. He once admitted to being “weak in politics” while referring to his standing in role as marketing director at Kenya Breweries where he said he was working for political people and felt like he was reporting to Parliament.
2. Born and raised in Ruiru and boasts of a humble upbringing.
3. Married to Catherine whom he introduces as “his life” and says has been at the heart of his success. Together they have three children, the oldest aged 15 and youngest 5.
4. A morning person who never plans any late night meetings so as to create time for his family.
5. Hates the gym and prefers running in a forest or at the Windsor Golf Course although he admits he is a hopeless golfer. He says he hangs around golfers at Ruiru Golf Club.
6. Loves travelling with Nanyuki at the foot of Mount Kenya his favorite destination.
7. Greatest fear is to fail as a husband and a father. He says he does not care if he fails as a businessman.
8. He is not Chris Kirubi’s son. During a past interview Igathe said “Kenyans think that if you work in a company diligently for long, a company owned by someone else, you can only be their son.”