Nairobi News

NewsWhat's Hot

Student crushed to death by matatus to be buried on Saturday

The 23-year-old University of Nairobi student who was crushed to death by two matatus will be laid to rest on Saturday at her parents’ home in Limuru.

Cecilia Njeri’s body will be transported from City Mortuary where it has been lying since Saturday morning when it was moved from Guru Nanak Hospital.

The hospitality degree final year student who was to graduate in December was crossing the road on the fateful Friday evening when Patrick Irungu who was driving an MSL Isuzu mini bus (KBS 389Y) reversed and sandwiched her against another vehicle belonging to the same bus company (registration no. KCE 531Y).

The two buses ply Mwiki-Kasarani route and are under the Mwiki Sacco management.

Mr Irungu was on Wednesday arraigned at before the Milimani Law Courts and charged with causing death through dangerous driving. The accused denied the charge and was granted a Sh 600, 000 cash bail.

Nairobi Central Police Division OCPD Paul Wanjama said the suspect was arraigned after investigations were concluded and the mini-bus involved is still in police custody.

“The other driver was not charged as investigations revealed that the driver who reversed was at fault,” said Mr Wanjama.

One of the matatus that crashed Ms Cecilia Njeri Gicheha to death which was detained by the police after the incident. PHOTO | COURTESY
One of the matatus that crashed Ms Cecilia Njeri Gicheha to death which was detained by the police after the incident. PHOTO | COURTESY


Kiambu Governor William Kabogo on Wednesday visited the bereaved family and donated Sh 20,000 to offset part of the burial expenses.

He urged his counterpart in Nairobi Dr. Evans Kidero to decongest the city’s Central Business District so as to ensure such accidents do not happen in future.

At the same time, the National Safety and Transport Authority (NTSA) has completed the inspection of 132 of the 145 buses of Mwiki Sacco.

The authority’s director and head of corporate communications Dominic Kabiru told Nairobi News that 13 buses are yet to be inspected.

“We will impound the remaining ones if the Sacco does not present them for inspection,” said Mr Kabiru.

Ms Njeri died while receiving treatment at Guru Nanak Hospital where she was taken by good Samaritans who witnessed the accident outside Tuskys Beba Beba in the CBD.

At the time of her death, Ms Njeri had received a receptionist job offer at the Boma Hotel where she was to report last Tuesday.

During a requiem service held on Tuesday, Ms Njeri’s family and friends eulogized her as a young, bubbly, born-again Christian who dedicated her life to preaching the gospel through the Truth Movement evangelist group where she was a leader.

She was the third born in a family of four children and had just completed her hospitality course at University of Nairobi’s constituent Utalii College awaiting graduation.